Thursday, July 29, 2010

Feather-light pancakes



Yes, yes....I know that pancakes are technically not dessert. But fluffy, tender, feather-light pancakes, drizzled with real maple syrup, rival the best desserts. With that in mind, meet the vegan pancake. My first attempts resulted in flat, tough, bitter-tasting chewiness. In the past I had whipped egg whites to fold in gently. When the eggs had to go, I used homemade whipped cream or fresh buttermilk to give my pancakes the lift and lightness that are the earmarks the best of pancakes. Suddenly, I was dairy-less as well. It was during this time I perfected my ability to hit a garbage can across the kitchen with a deft flip of a spatula. The following recipe can be tweaked. I found coconut milk gave the richest taste with the lightest texture. I didn't care for the soy milk results and found the rice milk to be a little lacking in fullness of flavor. I also started with a baking mix, primarily for convenience sake.


1 cup Heart Smart Bisquick mix
2/3 cup SO Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
a dash of salt
1/2 cup fruit (I used blackberries) - I add the fruit to the pancake once it has been poured in the pan

Preheat a non-stick skillet in a low heat setting (I used "3" on my electric range). Add 1 tsp of earth balance soy free natural buttery spread to the skillet. When the pan is hot enough to make water droplets spatter, you are ready to begin.

Mix the Bisquick, Coconut Milk, applesauce, salt, and vanilla.
Pour batter into the hot skillet.
Press fruit into the top of the pancake immediately after pouring the batter.
Wait until the pancake begins to bubble and the edges of the pancake begin to look solid.
Flip.

Some things I discovered through trial and error....if the pancake is burning before the edges are becoming firm, the heat is too high. Cooking the pancake slowly allows both sides to brown nicely, ensures the middle is cooked, and permit the maximum opportunity for the pancake to rise. Rushing it causes flat, tough, bitter pancakes. Mixing the fruit in with the batter can cause a huge mess and result in clumps of uncooked fruit. Once the pancake has been flipped, gently tap on the center with a finger to feel and hear if the pancake is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment