Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lemon Pecan Fruitcake


Fruitcake. One of the most controversial, polarizing holiday delicacies: fruitcake. People seem to really like fruitcake or utterly despise it. My Grandma used to whip up a dozen fruitcakes in little tin pans each year and, when we arrived in a rush of cold air and snow, she would pull several from the freezer to thaw. I have been scornfully informed that my fruitcake isn't fruitcake because it is not dripping with brandy or some other beverage, the smell of which, would make your eyes run. Perhaps. Bear in mind, my grandmother made it this way (plus a few eggs) and she was not one to be crossed in the kitchen. Therefore, I challenge you to try this lightly flavored, heavenly, citrus packed delicacy before judging its lack of alcoholic content.

!/2 lb Butter Flavored Crisco
1/2 lb brown sugar
3/4 cup applesauce
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 lb pecan pieces
1 lb candied fruit (I used cherries & pineapple mixture)
1 oz bottle of lemon extract

Cream Crisco and brown sugar. Add the applesauce and baking powder. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Grease a pan. I used a small 8" pie tin instead of the small loaf pans my grandma used. The cake held together better in the pie tin. I have found the lack of eggs and the loaf pans cause a great deal of crumbling. Bake 2 hours at 275. Allow to stand 6 weeks (if you can). I freeze mine.

The original recipe is double this size, so feel free to double the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment